Sigma Kappa has served as a sisterhood, a home-away-from-home, a support system, and an opportunity for growth for Cal Poly women since we were founded on campus in 1973.
Sigma Kappas form lifelong bonds based on our shared values of friendship, loyalty, personal growth, and service. We are leaders, friends, scholars, and volunteers. Together, with our diverse interests and strengths, we create an unbreakable bond that is hard to miss.
We pride ourselves on a strong sisterhood that knows no bounds. The women in this chapter make an impact on campus and in the community of San Luis Obispo.
Sigma Kappa was founded on November 9, 1874 at Colby College, in Waterville, Maine. Colby College was the first college in New England to admit women on an equal basis as male students.
During this period of change for women, they were insulted, boycotted, and denied a share of the more prized college rights.
In 1871, Mary Caffrey Low was the first woman admitted to Colby College. Low, along with Elizabeth Gorham Hoag, Ida Fuller, Frances Elliott Mann Hall, and Louise Helen Coburn, formed Sigma Kappa Sorority.
Our founders were courageous and determined to make a place for women in the collegiate world. This feeling inspired the formation of on the basis of scholarship, friendship, mutual interests, and ideals.
Our Founder's Day is celebrated on November 9th!
Today, Sigma Kappas across the nation strive
to honor our founders everyday and serve
their purpose loyally & well.
OUR CHAPTER HOUSE
Nicknamed "The Sigma Kastle," our chapter house has been a second home to generations of Sigma Kappas. Located between the Cal Poly campus and downtown San Luis Obispo, the Sigma Kappa house is in the heart of our beautiful city. With themed rooms, a big backyard, a porch swing, and plenty of space, this house is the ideal place for our members to live and grow.
We hold informal meetings, backyard barbecues, splatter paint parties, movie nights, and so much more at the Sigma Kastle.